My family has been living in our home for almost 2 years now. When we first moved in we really only bought the bare bones of furniture. Only what we needed and nothing extra. Places to eat, sleep, and light in dark corners. (We also […]
Month: May 2016
I’ve been at home with Em for 12 weeks now and since the beginning I’ve made it a priority to go out at least 6 times a week. I do things like walk to the grocery store, drive to pick up lunch, stroll around the mall, and meet friends for coffee. The fresh air and change of sanity keeps me sane!
Here are my top 5 items a mom with an infant needs for herself when she’s out and about. (Of course diapers and wipes are an absolute must, but that’s common sense right?)
- The Honest Company City Backpack: I knew right away when I saw this backpack that I wanted it for my diaper bag. The backpack holds everything I need when I head out. This includes my Klean Kanteen water bottle, an Aden and Anais swaddle, a change of clothes for Em, diapers, wipes, a change mat, a rattle, my wallet, and my laptop. On top all that I keep snacks, bottles (if I pump) and a phone charger in the front pockets. I love that the weight of the bag is distributed on both my shoulders (unlike most diaper bags that are one shoulder) and that my husband will carry the bag without complaining that it’s too “girly” looking. ($250 at West Coast Kids, no longer available but seen at Nordstrom.com for US$149)
- Aden and Anais swaddles: My cousin recommended the Aiden and Anais swaddles to me and I’m so glad she did! I’ve used these swaddles as a nursing cover, a burp cloth/towel, a car seat blanket and of course, a swaddle. I love things that are multipurpose! (Well.ca for various prices depending on material, goes on sale for 25% off)
- Klean Kanteen 27 oz classic water bottle: I researched water bottles before purchasing the Klean Kanteen. I was looking for a bottle that would hold a decent amount of water, not spill in my bag, and not hold flavors. The Klean Kanteen gets all this done. It also fits perfectly in my car cup holder! ($26.99 at Sport Chek)
- Uppababy Vista and Mesa: My husband let me choose our stroller and I debated between the Uppababy Vista and the Bugaboo Chameleon. I ended up choosing the Uppababy Vista because I felt it was easier to fold, and had a bigger basket. I don’t regret my choice at all! The Vista comes with a bassinet and a chair. We have yet to use the chair because Em is too small, but used the bassinet for Em’s first few nights at home, as her napping place on our main floor, and for walks. Most importantly the Vista is easy to steer with one hand so the other is free is hold a coffee! The Uppababy Mesa carseat got approved for Canada while I was pregnant so it was a no brainer in choosing it. No adapters are needed to use the Mesa with our stroller and it’s one of the lightest carseats on the market. I love our travel system and would 100% recommend it to everybody. ($1199.99 for the Vista and $449.99 for Mesa both at West Coast Kids
- Smart phone: Where would I be without my smart phone? It gets me from point A to B, keeps me updated with the news, and socially active with my family and friends. When I’m shopping with Em it also now allows me to look up reviews of baby products. Being a new mom it’s no surprise that I’m unfamiliar with baby products. When something catches my eye while I’m out, I like being able to whip out my phone and read reviews before purchasing. My phone is also my best friend when I’m the only one feeding in a nursing room. Yay candy crush!
So there are my top 5 items while I’m on the go . I hope this was helpful and if you have any items you recommend I’d love to hear them!